Re: [Bell Historians] Taylors and stretch tuning

cmpovey@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Jul 17 21:48:09 BST 2018

Bill,

Thank you for this: most interesting. We conversed about stretch tuning when you were investigating this subject originally. You said at the time Bengeo was considered the first Taylor stretching exercise, but Andrew Higson checked the tuning dates for Evesham and found that work (also in 1951) predated the Bengeo tuning by a month or two. Geoff Hemming was approached by Paul Taylor about stretching the two trebles, as he wanted to investigate the effect, but said they would be tuned down to datum if Geoff didn’t like them. Geoff did, and they remain as Paul Taylor originally tuned them. The treble’s nominal is +19c above tenor datum and the 2nd is +12c (JT figures: yours differ only fractionally).

I see Bengeo’s nominals are stretched throughout (like Tewkesbury), so Paul Taylor may have been investigating two types of stretching at the same time: one with just trebles of a 12 and the other a gradual stretch throughout.

Chris Povey

Sent from Windows Mail