[Bell Historians] Re: Batricks or Battericks?

La Greenall laalaagrr@googlemail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jun 13 14:26:15 BST 2018

I was just going to suggest the same thing - it seems to be a derivation
of 'baldrick', a type of strap or belt.
There are a number of such entries in the Waltham Abbey churchwardens'
accounts, although of an earlier period. Here's three examples:

Essex Record Office, D/P 75/5/1 Churchwardens’ Account Book 1624-1670

1626 Item for iiii keyes and a boult for the baldricke for the fourth
Bell    0-1-0
1628 November the xviith Paid to John Kempe for a baldrope [baldrick]
And for a boltt for the third bell & mending the church door keys    0-2-8
1629 July the xvith paid to Duke for three baldrickes for the first
second & third bells    0-7-2

I'll also send Hugh a transcript I made of all the entries relating to
bells or clocks, so he can compare the frewuency of rope entries with
what he has. They certainly didn't seem to last long!

Lawrence