[Bell Historians] Whitechapel archives - recruiting qualified archivists

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 17 17:01:46 BST 2018

If there are any list members who are qualified archivists – or who know
anyone who might be interested and eligible – then please see the following
advertisement. I am posting this with encouragement of the LMA team.

The London Metropolitan Archives is recruiting an archivist to work on The
Whitechapel Bell Foundry archives – an interesting opportunity for anyone
with the necessary qualifications seeking to work on an interesting business
archive.

These details are also advertised on the City’s job site as part of a double
recruitment:  <https://jobs.cityoflondon.gov.uk/>
https://jobs.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ search for ‘Archivist’

Job details

Job title

Archivist x 2 (12 months fixed term)

Job reference

OOTC635

Date posted

10/10/2018

Application closing date

22/10/2018

Location

Salary

Salary: £34,230 - £38,730 p.a. inclusive of London Weighting

Package

Job category/type

Job description

Applications are invited from archivists to join the Collections team at
London Metropolitan Archives (LMA). LMA is the largest local government
archive repository in the United Kingdom. Based in Clerkenwell and
administered by the City of London, its holdings run to around 100km of
documents from 1067 to the present. LMA holds local government and other
records for the Greater London area and the City of London. These
collections have been awarded designated status by the Arts Council England..
LMA is an Accredited Archive Service.

We are looking to recruit two posts to work on two funded cataloguing
projects for 12 months each. One project relates to archives from the
Anglo-Jewish community and is funded by the Rothschild Foundation (Hanadiv)
Europe. The other project relates to the business archive of the Whitechapel
Bell Foundry which dates mainly from 1837.

We would like you to appraise, sort and catalogue deposits to professional
standards, and liaise effectively with all members of staff in support of
the project work. This would be an exciting opportunity for individuals who
wish to increase their experience in working with archives, producing
catalogues and with related development of administrative skills.

What we need from you is a recognised diploma or degree in Archive
Administration, flexibility, excellent communication skills, and the ability
to work as part of a team producing high quality work to strict targets.
Experience of large scale cataloguing, working with complex material, and an
interest in and willingness to learn about specific areas of London's
history is essential.

If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and feel you have the
requisite skills then we'd love to hear from you.

If you are considering applying for both archivist posts you need only
complete one application form for your preferred post but please indicate on
your form that you are interested in the other post too.

For informal enquiries please contact Nicola Avery, Principal Archivist on
020 7332 3816.

The post holders will both work to one of LMA's Senior Archivists.

Closing date: 12 noon on 22 October 2018

Interviews: 6 and 7 November 2018

Please see Job Information Pack
<http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/jobs/Documents/Job-Information-Pack-TC635.pd
f>

To apply please click on the apply online button below.

Please contact 0207 332 3978 (24hr answer phone) quoting reference number
TC635 if you experience any problems.  A minicom service is available for
the hearing impaired on 0207 332 3732.

The City of London Corporation is committed to Equal Opportunities and
welcomes applications from all sections of the community.

Chris Pickford