[Bell Historians] JOHN HUGH LEWIS 1917 - 21 JUNE 1944 [1 Attachment]

David Willis dcwillispiano@yahoo.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 24 11:01:49 BST 2018

I am one of several worker ants servicing the Rolls of Honour and my particular interest is trawling newspapers and suchlike to discover names that have been missed.
This appeared in RW1944 p304
DEATH OF LIEUT. J. H. LEWIS. Readers of ‘ The Ringing World ’ will learn with regret that Lieut. (A) J. H. Lewis, R.N.V.R., son of Mr. E. H. Lewis, the president of the Central Council, has been killed on active service. Deep sympathy with Mr. and Mrs. Lewis will be felt throughout the Exercise.
Leading me to this ..
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour TranscriptionFirst name(s) John HughLast name LewisBirth year -Age -Death year 1944Death date 21 Jun 1944Number -Rank Lieutenant (A)Unit H.M.S. VictoriousRegiment Royal Naval Volunteer ReserveGrave reference Bay 5, Panel 4.Cemetery or Memorial Lee-On-Solent MemorialBurial country United Kingdom.
I had no proof at that stage that he was a ringer so could not ask Alan Regin to accept him.Recently, however, when trawling newspapers I found the following proof which I attach .The article states that he was 27 years old, and a ringer
Sevenoaks Chronicle 14 July 1944 p1 col6
Heading BRASTED NAVEL OFFICER KILLED
As you will see from the current Rolls in the RW an attempt is made to create a full family account of each person and I would like to assemble one for John Hugh. It does seem extraordinary that the President of the CC did not ensure that his son was entered into the Rolls.
When Edwin died the RW 1963 p 609 recorded that he had 7 children. 4 Sons 3 of whom served in the Navy 1 being lost. 3 daughters 2 serving in the Navy 1 being lost. From the RW 1945 p320 we know she was the youngest daughter ... no mention of her being a ringer.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of HonourFirst name(s) Frances BarbaraLast name LewisBirth year -Age -Death year 1945Death date 29 Jul 1945Number -Rank Third OfficerUnit H.M.S. LankaRegiment Women's Royal Naval ServiceGrave reference 1. E. 8.Cemetery or Memorial Colombo (Liveramentu) CemeteryBurial country Sri Lanka
I would like to see an official date of birth for all 7 but believe 4 were born in Scotland
The 3 eldest were born in Cheshire, registered at Runcorn
Lewis James Gabriel 1910        he died 2005 Richmond on ThamesLewis Dilys M     1912Lewis Agatha T     1913
Knowing the existence of John Hugh and Barbara leaves 2 to find.
At Edwin's memorial service at Cornhill RW 1963 p746 family members attending were
Mr and Mrs R J LewisMr and Mrs O T LewisMr R T LewisMr J G Lewis        likely James GabrielMiss A Lewis        likely Agatha
Are there any surviving family I could contact ?

Thank you,
Davd