[Bell Historians] Brassfoundry bells - signed examples [2 Attachments]

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Aug 19 20:56:06 BST 2019

Can anyone provide examples of brassfoundry  bells with makers' names in
small panels (or roundels) on the side? If so, names of founders and details
of the wording would be most helpful (photographs or rubbings even better)

I'm trying to identify the founder of a small bell at Leagrave, near Luton -
as in the attached photo. This was taken recently using a drone, but
unfortunately it's not a great deal clearer than a shot I took from the
ground with a long lens a while ago. I still can't read it, although I think
a few letters at the ends of the top and bottom lines are just about
legible.

It's clearly a "badge" of the sort on the Bailey of Salford bell from
Cotterstock (image also attached) - though  not the same one. If anyone can
provide any examples of this sort, then it might just be possible to
identify the mark on the Leagrave bell (which, I would add, may well have
come from far away rather than originating from the Luton area)

All help welcome

Thanks

Chris Pickford