[Bell Historians] Christ Church Boston

Ted Steele bells@tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Feb 10 15:10:50 GMT 2019

On 10/02/2019 14:08, lauradi at rcn.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

>     I just wanted to point out that Arthur Nichols, author of the text,
> was extremely influential in New England change ringing - he had lots of
> rich friends, and convinced a number of them to donate bells.  His
> daughter Margaret was a better ringer than he was, and was the first
> US-trained ringer to ring a peal, by about fifty years (I'm not at home,
> to look up the exact dates), although she rang it in London, not here.

The following is an extract from my booklet relating the history of
ringing at Upper Clapton, north London and is taken from a a section
describing the footnotes to some of the peals rung there.

"The footnote to the Bell News report of a peal of Stedman Triples on
14th August 1902 reads simply “First peal” with regard to the ringer of
the third. This is hardly remarkable but there is more information
elsewhere in the paper. The ringer was Miss Margaret H Nichols of
Boston, U.S.A. and we are told that this was her first peal after a
comparatively brief study of the method, which achievement was said to
be almost unique in the annals of the Exercise.
“It is not often that a peal of Stedman Triples is rung as a first peal
in any circumstances, but when a young lady comes triumphantly through
the ordeal, it speaks volumes for her ability, and stamps her as no
ordinary ringer. The peal was rung practically without a hitch, save for
the slipping wheel of the rope of the 2nd bell”.
The band included Ernest and William Pye, whose birthday it was, and
Isaac Shade.
Bell News records further peals rung by Miss Nichols and it seems that
just three days after the peal at Clapton she rang two handbell peals in
a day at the home of Challis Winney; Stedman Triples and then an hour
later, after a break for tea Holt’s Original peal of Grandsire Triples.
She rang the pair of tenors in both of these. She had actually attempted
her first peal on August 11th, Grandsire Triples on tower bells at
Acton, but the attempt failed after 2,900 changes. A further attempt at
Acton was successful the day after the handbell peals. The peal at
Clapton was rung for the Middlesex Association and the others for ASCY.
(Some time after reporting these performances Bell News carried the
report of Miss Nichols’s wedding. In that account reference was made
again to the peals but incorrect dates were given for those on
handbells, that is August 11th 1892. Morris, in his “History and Art of
Change Ringing” appears to have referred to this report, for he repeats
the error in his book, although he gives the correct date when referring
to the peals in a different context earlier in the work).

Ted Steele
"

Posted by: Ted Steele <bells at tedsteele.plus.com>

<*> Your email settings: