[Bell Historians] Kingston St Mary - Inscription band attached by rivets

Ken Webb ken44webb@gmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jan 30 09:45:12 GMT 2019

I happened to look at the John Taylor website.

I noticed the Kingston St Mary bell which per Somerset by Massey has an
inscription band attached by rivets by L&J to their new 1876 bell.
Massey states they did the same at Hardington Mandeville to their 1879
bell but it was removed & preserved - I assume that bell & band
indicates the shape of the holes in the bell made by L&J?

I assume the wholes were made after the bells were cast? Did they drill
the bells to makeĀ  holes to try to fix the rivets? Were the holes
through the whole thickness of the bell or only near the surface? I
assume it did not help the tone etc. of the bells?

http://taylorbells.co.uk/project/kingston-st-mary-somerset/

Ken

Posted by: Ken Webb <ken44webb at gmail.com>

<*> Your email settings: