[Bell Historians] Half and three-quarter wheels [1 Attachment]

John David johnedavid@hotmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jan 30 14:53:04 GMT 2019

St Pierre du Bois Guernsey three old bells have half wheels, as has been pointed out. They were still swing-chimeable until the 10 were installed below them without leaving satisfactory paths for the ropes.

It might also be pointed out that W C Lukis (a Guernseyman who must have seen these bells) does not mention them here but attributes them to St Saviour's, which had full wheels until hung dead in recent times.

In Lukis's papers at the Guernsey Museum there is a drawing by him of a half wheel at Little Ouseburn, York, dated 1869 - long after hes book was published. I attach a copy of it, I hope everyone has more success opening it than I have had opening Chris Pickford's in the previous digest!

John David
Guernsey