[Bell Historians] Gun metal bell

David Bagley david@ringing.demon.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Sep 14 22:18:37 BST 2019

15 of the earliest 16 bells cast by Richard Bowditch and Matthew Higby from 1989 to 1993 were gun metal.

The other one was cast in 1990 in phosphour bonze and I believe is now the Glaston Branch Striking Competition Trophy.

Some of these bells formed the original Chilcompton Campanile, and I had one for a while in the Malvern Wells Campanile.

They sounded fine for mini rings

David

From: Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:05 PM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Gun metal bell

Bagden Hall hotel in Yorkshire (near Barnsley) has displayed a small
bell which formerly hung over the chapel of the former hall. The bell is
said to be made of gun metal and dates apparently from around 1850. The
picture shows no markings of any kind but I am more curious as to
whether the claim that it is of gun metal is realistic. What would such
a bell sound like? Much less resonant I would assume, but I wonder if
this claim is actually just a mistake made by the owners when the bell
was recovered. Are there other examples known of gun metal bells?

Ted Steele