[Bell Historians] Gun metal bell

Richard Offen richard.offen@iinet.net.au [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Sep 15 06:12:16 BST 2019

Gun metal is a form of bronze with about half the tin content of bell metal with 1-2% zinc added.

It is the high tin content which gives bell metal its resonance and therefore a bell made of gun metal will sound much duller than one of bell metal. This is probably fine for small bells, but for larger ones the sound would not be good. Bells by Murphy of Dublin are known for their low tin content, which does not make for a pleasant sound, as anyone who has rung on the eight at St Patrick’s Cathedral, Melbourne will testify!

Richard

Sent from Richard Offen's iPad