[Bell Historians] Lulls in bellfounding activity

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Dec 29 02:53:11 GMT 2020

I've been analysing the Dove database looking statistical
trends in year in which surviving bells were cast.  I'm only
including in the analysis bells where a precise date is
known to avoid bias from estimated dates.

The number of surviving datable bells starts to climb
rapidly at the start of Elizabeth's reign and within a
decade it is clear this is not a statistical anomaly.
Unsurprisingly levels have varied over the centuries since
then, and there are some interesting trends which I'm still
analysising.

One of the most striking features of the data is that there
are five or six periods since Elizabethan times when
founding has dropped off significantly.  Some are obvious,
but not all of them, and that's the purpose of this email.
The six periods in question are:

  (a) 1642-1646
  (b) 1688-1692
  (c) 1794-1802
  (d) 1832-1838
  (e) 1914-1918
  (f) 1940-1945

Four of these are wars: (a) is the first phase of the
English Civil War; (c) is the French Revolutionary Wars; (e)
is the First World War; and (f) is the Second World War.
It is easy to see how these would have lead to decreased
bellfounding activity.

However I'm at a complete loss to know what the other two
are.  1688 is, of course, the year of the Glorious
Revolution, but I struggle to see why that have a pronounced
effect on bell founding.  I have even less idea what the
1832-38 dip could be.  Possibly they are not genuine
declines in founding but instead represent periods where
fewer bells were cast with dates or where an above average
number have been lost.  The latter could happen if the dips
coincided with a prolific yet poor founder who was preceded
and followed by better founders, but there's no obvious
candidate.  C & G Mears were a decade later!

Can anyone offer any insight?

RAS