[Bell Historians] [EXT] Lulls in bellfounding activity

Robin Canniford rcan at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Dec 29 03:47:28 GMT 2020

Hi Richard,
This is an interesting problem.
Some of these, especially the 1830s dip could involve an assemblage of causes related to industrialization. Copper prices were falling at this stage I think, so material prices are probably a dead end. However, financial investment was in the thrall of new machines, new towns, and new markets. Worth considering also is the role of the changing population centres/densities during this time. This might have led to changes in how and where bells were being commissioned. Clues might emerge from a check of the locations (or kinds of locations) where bells were being sited / or stopped being sited during this period. A question could be: if we disaggregate the available data into regions, do we continue to see that dip across new-urban / rural locations during this period, or are the more rural sites in the South West/ East Anglia etc. continuing to commission bells at a different rate to the industrialising regions?
Just a thought...
Cheers, Robin

University of Melbourne