[Bell Historians] Establishing the origins and age of a hand bell ?

Revd David Cawley davidl.cawley@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jan 12 20:24:34 GMT 2020

Dickon is absolutely correct when he identifies these as brass bells.

Taylors used to use a firm in Birmingham to make them for sale, and
modern examples are on sale in the Bell Foundry Museum shop.

The appearance is very much late 19th century to the early 20th century.
Probably school bells though there were any number of uses to which
these robust castings could be put. Usually the handle would break with
excessive use rather than the bell !

DLC

------ Original Message ------
From: "Julian Perfect julianperfect at hotmail.com [bellhistorians]"
<bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
To: "bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, 11 Jan, 2020 At 14:18
Subject: [Bell Historians] Establishing the origins and age of a hand
bell ? [4 Attachments]

  It has been suggested to me that the Bell Historians Group might be
able to provide some information in response to my enquiry below.

  I have a couple hand bells which appear to be identical and cast in
bell metal (please see the first three of the attached photographs, the
2p coin gives an indication of the dimensions of the bells). I  would
like to establish, if possible, by whom, where and when these bells were
cast, but there are no markings that I can see on either of the bells
(or their handles) that might offer any clues. I would be grateful for
any information, ideas, or suggestions  about this, please.

  I would also be interested to hear any ideas about the origins and
former use of the bell (missing its clapper) shown in the fourth and
fifth of the attached photographs. Again, there are no markings visible
on this  bell.

  With thanks,

  Julian Perfect