Brass vs bronze and surface finish [Bell Historians] Establishing the origins and age of a hand bell ?

Julian Perfect julianperfect@hotmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Jan 14 12:49:17 GMT 2020

Alison, David, Dickon, and the Group,

The polished bell (without the clapper) looks like brass, but are the pair of identical bells brass?
Also, is the rough (unpolished?) finish of the surface of the 'shoulder' and inside of the pair of bells produced by the sand used in casting them?

For completeness, the two bells that are identical have the following dimensions:
Outer (maximum) diameter, 5 inches
Height, 31/4" (three and a quarter inches)
Wooden handle, 51/2  "  (five and a half inches long)
Metal shaft visible between the bell and wooden handle, about 1/2 " (half inch).

The (brass) bell without a clapper is a little larger, with an outer (maximum) diameter of 47/8" (four and seven eighths) and height of 31/2" (three and a half).
It also has what appear to be a crack (or casting fault?) about three inches long running horizontally around it just above the third line up from the base.

With thanks,
Julian