[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at swbell.net
Sat Jul 4 15:47:29 BST 2020

This morning's email brought to me the Latest News from the Central Council, one item of which was a report on the progress and plans for improvements to Dove online.  Undoubtedly most of you have seen that as well.  It occurred to me that while the present Dove online incorporates much campanological information that was not in the original version (frames, crown removals, chiming bells, etc.), there is potentially much more that could be included.
Furthermore, the subscribers to this mail-list might well be able to suggest useful additions to Dove that might not occur to some of the folks who are directly involved with the improvement process.  And this "down time" through which we are all living provides a window of opportunity (which the Dove team are already putting to good use) for us to sit back and think about things in a way for which we ordinarily might not have time.
Personally, I would like to see more information in the general category of "additional mechanisms."  That could include clocks (turret? electrical? other?), with identification of the bell(s) on which they strike as well as what they strike -- hour only? quarters? ting-tang or Cambridge (Westminster) or other? (Turret clock enthusiasts want to know!)  It could include tune-playing equipment -- Ellacombe rack? electric hammers? drum? (fixed or programmable), baton keyboard? other?
What else would you like to see included in the next generation of Dove?  Or what improvements can you envision in what is already there in embryonic form?

Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -
 - 19th c. home of at least 37 bell founders or resellers
Tel. +1(314)821-8437
Webmaster for www.TowerBells.org
 * Avocation: tower bells
 * Recreation: handbells