[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

John Arthur john.eborbells at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 08:55:11 BST 2020

I have waited a little while before commenting with some realisation that
lists and databases are specifically targeted!

At the present time we have:

Diocesan Lists prepared by George Dawseon in excel which are fully
searchable records of bell details
The entries on the CBC Church Buildings Record (for some Diocese) derived
from the above and checked through before posting which are only
searchable per church
We have Dove which contains frame details and some other items but only
deals with rings of 3 and above
Where bells are a War Memorial they are sometimes recorded in the National
War Memorial Register. (Hideously difficult to search for bells!)

The question is how are these going to be combined. who is going to compile
it and the time spent on updating is considerable.(There could be a cost
element here as we know the amount of time that John has put into this.)

There is a good register for church organs which is detailed and searchable.

The Clock register organised by the AHS has a detailed format and the
detail being asked is commendable but how much time could be spent filling
in the detail asked for. Whilst most clocks are registered many just have a
maker and date with little other detail. There is much work still to do on
this database although the outline detail has been uploaded to the CBC
Records.

So it depends on how it is decided to much detail we wish to record?

John
John Arthur
Bells & Clocks Adviser to York DAC

Virus-free.