[Bell Historians] Request for info: women in bellfounding

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sat Apr 3 16:14:33 BST 2021

Well outside your period, but there were women founders
right back in the late mediæval period.  Johanna Hill and
Johanna Sturdy were both Londer founders during Henry VI's
reign.  They were respectively the widows of founders
Richard Hill (d c1440) and John Sturdy (d c1458), and
continued to cast bells themselves after their husband's
death.  (They are sometimes assumed to be the same woman,
but Caroline Barron's account of them in in /Medieval London
Widows, 1300–1500/ seems to leave little doubt that they
were separate people.)

A scan through the list of founders of Dove may help you.

Richard

Who obvious examples