[Bell Historians] ringing at st Botolph Aldgate before 1966

oliver Lee oliverbellringer at outlook.com
Mon Feb 1 18:41:16 GMT 2021

Hi, there
For the last couple of days or so I have been carrying research about various London towers and what their ringing situation would have been during the 1930s, so far I haven’t really been able to unearth anything about the state of affairs at Aldgate, what really puzzles me is that it seems to have been a fairly active tower right up until the late 1890s when several quarter peals of grandsire where rung. However it seems from about 1899 to about the 1950s there seems to have been no record of any ringing taking place which makes me think that they may well have been unringable (no doubt to the notable tower movement and the ancient pack and chapman frame), additionally I am also curious to know weather  the ringing chamber has always been at it’s current location or was somewhere else prior to the rehanging
Oliver lee