[Bell Historians] ringing at st Botolph Aldgate before 1966

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Feb 2 01:24:41 GMT 2021

David Cawley wrote:

"Enter Phil Corby, and it is to him that we owe the ringing peal
rather than the chime which was being envisaged. Whitechapel did a
super job tuning them. Sadly, the tower movement was not cured, the
fault of the tower rather than the bell installation. Phil arranged
that bands from the ASCY, SRCY, ULSCR, and MCA should ring on
successive Sundays, a rota that was adhered to until the MCA took over
the running of the tower. There was even enough money to permit the
addition of the electronic chimes for the weekday services!"

Yes, indeed. The West Wickham (Bill Hughes' home tower) ringers, of
which I was one, used to go and ring at Aldgate once a month during
the early 1970s as part of Phil's rota.

Graham John