[Bell Historians] ringing at st Botolph Aldgate before 1966

Revd David Cawley davidl.cawley at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 19 23:52:02 GMT 2021

I think that I can add one or two things to Aldgate after WW2. The rest
you can find on Dickon's site, as Ted Steele suggests. I think I
provided the more recent details to that site, also the photographs.

Warners' Bell Foundry was only a short distance - closer than
Whitechapel, and it is not surprising that they undertook the partial
rehanging in 1890. At the time, and right up to 1965 the bells hung
right up behind the louvres. The 1966 rehang brought the bells down 14
feet. I remember Bill Hughes of Whitechapel saying that he would like to
have brought them down further, into the present ringing chamber, and
the bells would then be rung from the 1st floor.  He was quite surprised
by the amount of movement following the rehang.

St Botolph's is not listed amongst "Towers where the Society is engaged"
in an ASCY rule book of 1911. Just round the corner, Christ Church
Spitalfields, then a very heavy 8, were so listed.

Although the bells are rung from the original 2nd floor, the ceiling was
brought down several feet to create a 'dead' space and to reduce the
draught of rope.

I was working at The Royal London Hospital 1964-5 and used to serve
regularly at the altar in St Botolph's. I suggested to the Rector that a
bell should be rung for services, and with his agreement I used to go
along to the church to do just that. The various bells of the front five
got turned over one at a time during subsequent months. The ringing
chamber was a dirty place, but all the ropes were in position, having
been fitted just after the war. Above, the sixth bell was lying at a
crazy angle within its pit, a gudgeon having broken. The late Jack
Phillips told me that it occurred during ringing for a wedding in 1958.

When Albert Hughes died in 1964, I arranged to toll the tenor (then
reputed to weigh 28 cwt) as the cortege passed. I rang it up, set it and
rung it full circles for the best part of an hour. Hard work!

It was at this time that the parish was actively considering restoration
of the bells, but by 1964 their thoughts were turning to hanging them
dead in the old frame for electrical chiming. The 'last straw' was the
discovery that the 6th was cracked in the head and the price for
recasting was considerable. There was also a strong feeling that "we'll
never get the ringers".

Enter Phil Corby, and it is to him that we owe the ringing peal  rather
than the chime which was being envisaged. Whitechapel did a super job
tuning them. Sadly, the tower movement was not cured, the fault of the
tower rather than the bell installation.  Phil arranged that bands from
the ASCY, SRCY, ULSCR, and MCA should ring on successive Sundays, a rota
that was adhered to until the MCA took over the running of the tower.
There was even enough money to permit the addition of the electronic
chimes for the weekday services!

I think it  can safely be said that all the bells were ringable and rung
right up to 1958, and the collapse of the 6th in that year effectively
marked the end - until 1966.

David Cawley