[Bell Historians] St John's Waberthwaite bells

cmwinzor cmwinzor at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 7 17:13:34 GMT 2021

Can this be posted please?

StJohn's Church, Waberthwaite looking for advice

Wehave 2 church bells which are well documented by various
historians.They are engraved Henricus Sextus Rex and Sanctus Jacobus
DominusThomas Walker.
Thestory has always been that they are connected to the time when
KingHenry V1 took refuge at Muncaster Castle. Last year there
wasresearch done into the legend of the Luck of Muncaster which
includethe story of the bell in Muncaster church,  also dedicated to
HenryV1. This research is not yet published but I have seen a copy of
it.It gives some weight to the visit of the king.

Atthat time St Johns was the mother church and Thomas Walker wasrector.
Weare researching into our church history and would love to know ifthere
is any connection in date/style/possible origin of our bellsand the one
in St Michael's. Just to know that they were likely to beconnected in
date would be a start. As far as I know the two KingHenry bells have
never been compared. Is there anyone who can steerme in the direction of
an expert??
Ourbells are hung in the bellcote and the Muncaster one is in
theirchurch. Once we're all able to travel. it's a wonderful area for
avisit.
Fingerscrossed someone out there can help
Catherine Winzor