[Bell Historians] Preshute - all bells added to NBR as 'On Pres List' between 2009 & 2015 (same for Westbury)

Ken Webb ken44webb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 10:58:11 GMT 2021

On 30/01/2021 22:40, Chris Pickford via Bell-historians wrote:

> I happened to notice the other day that Westbury are also listed – so
> somebody has succeeded in getting two good C20th rings in Salisbury
> Diocese listed (and maybe others too). Rather than quibble about which
> rings are the most eligible, we might do well to think about the
> protection that listing may afford for all the modern true-harmonic
> rings that we consider to be  good. On that basis, I wouldn’t quibble
> at all with Preshute being listed – they’re very good.
>
> That said, I am curious to know how these Wiltshire rings have crept
> into the lists – and why equally eligible rings elsewhere haven’t yet
> made it. I suspect that someone in Salisbury Diocese has been quite
> astute and ahead of the game

I'd saved some versions of the NBR for the Salisbury Diocese (prepared
by George D/*.*/).

Looking at these:

Regarding the column 'On Pres list':

The version 'updated 3 2009' does not list Preshute & only lists the
older Sanctus at Westbury.

The version 'updated 4 2015' lists all bells at Preshute & all bells at
Westbury.

So we know roughly the 'when' but not the 'why' or who initiated the
Listing. Neil Skelton would be my guess.

Ken