[Bell Historians] Preshute - why are all 6 G&J bells listed? (Treble added later.)

Andrew Wilby wilbyawr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:19:17 GMT 2021

Responding to David Kelly's latest
Whilst I entirely agree with the sentiment I am afraid that getting constitutional change in the CofE's arrangements would be a very difficult.

However, having spent a number of years involved in Local Government Planning Committees I have developed a slightly a different perspective.

Planning Officers and Committees have to make decisions based on democratically adopted lawful policy frameworks, not on opinion or whim.
It may also surprise people that in these circles that the views of the "Statutory Consultees" such as Historic England may be noted but frequently disregarded in arriving at decisions. Decisions have to be based on lawfully adopted policies - otherwise legal challenge is likely. They are only consultees and hold no veto.

This of course does not apply within the Ecclesiastical Exemption under which we mainly operate. Chancellors have allowed the secular consultees into the process and to have considerable clout. Arguably they should not have done this because it undermines the principle laid down by Parliament that Churches should have their own independent jurisdiction.

There will be pros and cons of course, but you could debate whether or not now we would be better off under the civil system? Is the CofE structure archaic and broken beyond repair?
Note that other churches such as the Romans and Baptists operate under the Ecclesiastical Exemption without the great and costly bureaucracy that we do. It is the CofE power and vested interest structure that is the problem.

Andrew Wilby

01295 768191
0780 329 5042