[Bell Historians] Warners retuning during augmentations

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Jun 25 23:21:40 BST 2021

Ben Waller wrote:

> I believe that Aldermaston, Berks were augmented in this manner by Warners
> in 1900. From memory, I think there might be a notice in the ringing room,
> presumably contemporary with augmentation, that indicates that the old
> fourth was tuned down to complete the octave.

Thanks.  That seems a pretty good example, especially if the
notice indicates it was retuned.

Nigel Taylor wrote:

> St. Mary Abbots, Kensington were augmented to ten in 1879. Warners added a
> treble and tenor to the Janaway eight, recast the old 6th, and two trebles
> in eight.

In which case, this is not an example – they cast a new bell
to replace the original n-2.

James White wrote:

> St Mary, Acton, W3, were a six until 1877. The current
> 4th, 6th and 7th are survivors from this six. The current
> 2nd, 3rd and 5th are said to be “recast” from earlier
> bells and the current treble and tenor “cast”, all by
> Warner.

Sorry, but the same is true here – n-2 was replaced, not
retuned.

Stuart Hutchieson wrote:

> Uttoxeter.

Thanks.  That looks like a good example too.

Richard