[Bell Historians] Early rings of eight

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sat Mar 13 21:49:56 GMT 2021

georgebellringer at gmail.com wrote:

> Southwell were an early 8, tenor c 40cwt, tenor lightened
> to c 28cwt in 1706-7 by William Noone. All recast in 1712
> after the fire in 1711 which destroyed all, then 1721 by
> Rudhall.

Thanks.  This was a new one for me.  I've just looked these
up in your Church Bells of Nottinghamshire, and it looks
like first we know is that there was an eight in 1705 of
which two bells were cracked.  Is there any earlier
information giving a clue as to how much earlier they were?

They only other tower I've got noted so far in Derbyshire or
Nottinghamshire is St Peter's, Nottingham, dating to 1672.
Likewise, the only tower I've got noted in Yorkshire is York
Minster, possibly an eight from 1473, augmented to twelve in
1681.

Are you aware of any that I'm missing in these counties?

Thanks!

RAS