[Bell Historians] Sanctus bell at St Sepulchre without Newgate

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Nov 4 23:03:38 GMT 2021

Does anyone know the note or nominal frequency of the 1698
William Eldridge sanctus bell at St Sepulchre without
Newgate?  Also, does anyone know whether it was tuned as
part of the restoration in the 1980s?  Reading Bill Cook's
account of the restoration (RW 1985, pp 493, 498 & 499),
this bell seems to have been the treble of the previous ten
from before Samuel Knight's recast of them in 1739.

I don't believe we know the weight of the original ten, but
the Eldridge treble is significantly smaller in diameter
than the Mears replacement for Knight's treble, at 27.13"
compared to 30.75" – though the surviving Knight second of
ten is only 29.75" and presumably Knight's treble would have
been smaller than that.  This might suggest the original ten
were lighter than Knight's replacement ring.

Before the 1980s restoration and augmentation, which saw the
ring tuned, Dove listed St Sepulchre as being in D.  If the
previous ten were also in D, we would expect the sanctus
bell to be in F#, assuming it really was the treble of the
ten.  If it sanctus bell is higher than that, it would
suggest the original ring was too, as it is unlikely to have
been raised in pitch during any subsequent tuning.

RAS