[Bell Historians] Sanctus bell at St Sepulchre without Newgate

Revd David Cawley davidl.cawley at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 6 12:15:02 GMT 2021

I can remember the Service / Sanctus Bell at St Seps way back in the mid
1960s. It was rehung (dead, with a lever clapper) about that time. Ernie
Rowe and Bill Theobald did the job for Mears & Stainbank.

There used to be a framed notice by the churchyard gate, near the south
porch, inviting donations for the Bells of Old Bailey, asking readers,
"When will you pay me?" The panel contained a photograph of Ernie and
Bill, with the Eldridge Bell at ground level, exhorting readers: "I am
down. Please put me up."  Of course it was to be many years before work
was done to the main ring.

As far as I'm aware the Eldridge bell was not restored or tuned in the
1980s.

My information that the bell was the treble of the old ten came from
Bill Hughes, who I understand to have learned it from his father.

DLC