[Bell Historians] Ringing bells backwards as a signal

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Sep 24 22:25:57 BST 2021

I'm sure we've all heard anecdotal accounts of bells being
rung backwards, for example to signal an impending German
invasion last century.

I've just come across two much older examples.

During the Civil War, in orders dated 2 Jan 1642/3, the
Mayor of Wigan refers to the bells being rung backward as a
signal in the event of an asault on the town.  [Wigan
Archives, D/D An/Bundle 16/11]

During the Rising of the North, a letter possibly from
Richard Lowther to the Earl of Westmorland dated 13? Nov
1569 refers to the Earl of Northumberland having taken
Topcliffe Bridge and ringing the bells backwards.  [Cal SP
dom., Eliz. Add. 1566-79, p 105]

Richard