[Bell Historians] Ringing bells backwards as a signal

Peter Rivet peter at plrivet.plus.com
Sat Sep 25 16:59:17 BST 2021

There were very few Scottish churches with more than one bell in 1689, which is the year Scott was writing about, and English style change ringing was unknown there at that time.  The John Meikle carillon at St Giles in Edinburgh was cast in 1698.  It isn't entirely clear what was there earlier but I think it's pretty clear that this is a case of poetic licence rather than historical accuracy.

Peter Rivet