[Bell Historians] G&J bell - Birkenhead docks

Peter Kirby peter.c.kirby at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 25 12:42:34 BST 2022

Apologies if there has beendiscussion on this particular subject before.

Irecently came across a G&J bell at Birkenhead Docks (N 53° 23' 55"
W003° 01' 8" OS Grid: SJ 32351 89558).  The inscription indicates it was
cast in 1948and the top has the inscription of The Gas Accumulator
Company London.  Diameter is around 2’.  There is a solenoid type hammer
(I doubt ifthis works) and the bell is mounted in a frame at ground
level so easilyaccessible.

The only reference to the GasAccumulator Company I can find is that they
appear to have been based inBrentford, Middlesex so, if this is the
case, why is this bell in Birkenhead?

I have included a couple of photographswith this post but not sure if
this will appear when distributed to list members.

Can anyone on this group

Peter Kirby
Halifax, West Yorkshire