[Bell Historians] Hastings stays

Chris Povey chrismpovey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:13:56 GMT 2022

*It was followed by a letter from Arthur Fidler, RW 16 Jan 2004 p.53* -
and  an earlier letter from me in RW 2004, p 29 questioning one aspect of
the article: that Hastings stays are tapered on three sides. This conflicts
with Taylors' drawings for Hastings stays, which shows all four sides are
tapered, to ensure everything remains central. I never received an answer
to this question. It is possible this bit was confused with shaping the
part of the stay that fits in the headstock, which of course can be tapered
on three sides to aid removal and setting the stay central to the slide.
The part facing the small holes in Taylors headstocks should, of course,
never be tapered, otherwise the stay will not be upright (and Taylor stays
are stamped with this warning).
Chris Povey