[Bell Historians] Cities with many early rings

Gareth Davies charollais at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:51:02 GMT 2022

Sorry Richard et al

Less haste, more speed.

I wondered why the map I posted had so many errors. I’ve just realised that it was an early version that I subsequently updated. I was originally going on an inspection of the St Edward’s churchwardens’ accounts (only surviving from 1727) which are ambiguous about how many bells there were until a clear entry in 1809 for the purchase of 6 bellropes.

Of course, as you say, the bell inscriptions make it clear that the 1669 augmentation was to 6, though possibly from 4 to 6, going on the number of bells recorded in 1552.

Even on the revised numbers, Cambridge clearly couldn’t compete with Oxford, of course

Gareth