[Bell Historians] Kemberton

Andrew Aspland aaspland at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 15 18:31:59 BST 2022

 And of course it is a very strange system in that A would be used to describe bells within an interval of one semitone whereas A# describes half a semitone and Bb likewise.
The reason people keep asking and challenging is that it so clearly not thought through!
Andrew
    On Sunday, 15 May 2022, 09:36:18 BST, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:

 Nigel Taylor wrote:

> When Online Dove moved to apply standard pitch (A=440) to note names, this
> resulted in some keynotes being changed. Ben Kipling and myself agreed that
> the note name should reflect the pitch standard, so sharp of F#
> international is Gb, and on pitch or flat of pitch is F#.

This policy makes sense for single bells, but I agree with
Richard that it's daft for rings.  It's not being applied
properly, anyway.  Why aren't York Minister, Exeter
Cathedral and Southwark Cathedral listed as A#?  Is it
perhaps because they wouldn't put up with this nonsense?

RAS