[Bell Historians] Unknown inscription- Henry Pleasant

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Fri Aug 30 20:19:31 BST 2024

In article
<CANUxH0EDJxrMEaH6VQUyY8EkaUQ2t5py9eZyhgA3y6BeONVLTw at mail.gmail.com>,
   Neal Dodge via Bell-historians
<bell-historians at lists.ringingworld.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone help identify what is depicted on the inscription band of
> this bell?

Could it be related to local symbolism?  The decoration on our Tenor has
acorns and oak leaves, both of which appear in the town's coat of arms.

My attempt to interpret the shapes is attached.  The man in the middle
appears to be holding something in each hand.

On the left could be a dead animal hanging from the scruff of its neck (in
the green circle).  OTOH that head could be part of a crouching animal
facing the other way (in the blue circle).

On the right, in the yellow circle it looks a bit like a monkey on its
haunches.  In the orange circle I initially saw I saw heads of two
suppliant people leaning left, but now they appear to be leaning towards
each other.

None of that makes much sense but it might spark some thoughts.

The spirals at the end seem to be decorative ends of the 'tray that
everything else is sitting on.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk

Engineers produce results using the science when known, and 'art' when not.  (David Dale)