[r-t] Stedman triples

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Sun Dec 5 22:36:37 UTC 2004

I really enjoyed the article in this week's RW about Stedman triples.  I
hope the weekend's Eisteddfod was sucessful, as I'm sure it will have been.
I was sorry not to have been there. Perhaps Clarrie can inform us what
method 'won' the Eistedfodd, and what else was presented?

Contrary to what some people think, I believe Stedman triples is a decent
method.  It's just on higher numbers that Stedman is a bland disappointment.
Anyway, I've three comments/challenges for Stedman triples composers...

1) One negative point about Stedman is, I feel, that it is not really one
method, but instead two methods spliced together (ie Erin and Bastow).  To
support this, I would say that no compositions exist (as far as I am aware
on any number of bells) without half-lead calls.  Is it possible for a
composition (of triples) to have calls only at the end of either quick or
slow sixes?

2) Following on from that point, is a composition possible which has no
consecutive calls?

3) Another draw-back is that the method is not traditionally symmetric about
a call being made.  Do any compositions exist which counter this, ie which
contain calls only in the middle of a six (doubles-style calls)?