[r-t] 23-spliced

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Thu Dec 23 22:11:24 UTC 2004

Graham John said  on 23/12/2004 21:05:

>I have a plan for atw 24-Spliced based on Humphrey's courses with no more
>than three consecutive leads of each method. You can have two seconds place
>leadhead groups, say 12 b methods & 12 f methods. Fitting diverse methods to
>the plan seems surprisingly difficult though.

I tried this about 20 years ago, selecting methods at random with the
required lead heads, but never got beyond about 12 mutually true
methods. When I last spoke to Roddy Horton he was also investigating
similar ideas.

With a seven-part you can quite quickly find a set of methods that fit a
given composition (especially using SCAMP). The problem with more
general arrangements is that there are many more distinct relationships
between the lead-heads of a pair of methods, hence possibilities for
cross-falseness that have to be avoided. Colin Wyld's 24 works because
the methods were carefully chosen.

--
Regards
Philip