[r-t] Re: Major Extents

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 09:49:12 UTC 2004

Ben Willets says:

"Therefore peals of Major must contain no repeated changes, and 40,320 is
the longest you can get"

and

"assuming the word "true" means the same thing in different parts of the
Decisions."

As regards the second, when I started work I was reminded that 'assumptions
make an ass of u and me'. It might be convenient to assume this, but until
recently I thought that I was certain what preservation of characteristics
meant.

As regards the first, you seems to be saying that the longest peal of
triples is just 5040. I suppose the analogue you wish to use is that of 7
and below must be in extents, but this is provided for in decision (D).
Peals of major and up are considered separately.

Any answers about Cawston?

Robin.