[r-t] 5250 Plain Bob 8

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Nov 20 11:23:03 UTC 2004

> I think it would be nice to have only two types of call so variable
> hunt is out

Of course it's up to you Richard, but I do find this bizarre!

To be honest I am not a fan of funny starts at all. It's seems to me it
makes a mockery of a method to shoehorn it into a special length by such
inelegant means. However, I would have thought that the variable treble
route is at least reasonably honest, and I certainly don't understand what's
wrong with three types of call - you'd ring Maximus with big bobs and two
ordinary calls wouldn't you? You'd ring a half-lead composition with bobs
and singles at both ends, no? What I am after here is not "what is
technically acceptable to the peals committee" or any such nonsense, but,
"what is the most elegant way of describing what we have rung?".

To me, the advantage of the spliced-in Cambridge would be that whole leads
of the methods are rung, apart from the acceptable snap finish, not that it
reduces the number of types of call.