[r-t] Falseness in cyclic methods [Was: Carlisle, Minor Music, Wraps, Cyclic focus]

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri Nov 26 22:58:08 UTC 2004

> Phil-- I would be interested to know how you generated
> falseness groups for these methods, and what naming
> convention you were using.

I was using the David Beard naming convention!

> Rotationally-symmetric methods are rather more complicated.
> Several years ago, I generated a table of the falseness
> groups for rotationally-symmetric cyclic methods.  (I can
> probably dig out a copy if anyone wants it.)  Unfortunately
> I can't locate a description of exactly how I did it.
> (Phil-- did I sent you an email describing this, and you
> still have a copy?  It would probably have been in the
> autumn of 2002.)  As I recall, I found that each falseness
> group split into an in-course and an out-of-course part, but
> aside from that, there was no additional splitting.

This sounds interesting.  I've had a trawl through my old hard-drive, and
rediscovered some interesting stuff you wrote a couple of years ago on
symmetry and Landau's function, but unfortunately no email on falseness
groups for rotationally-symmetric cyclic methods. I think I remember a
pub-conversation in the gradpad about it though, as you turned up at the
Benet's practice in Cambridge with a print-out of the falseness groups.  It
would have been around the annual alumni weekend, as that Scottish Guild guy
with the beard was there, and asked you questions about it.  The print-out
was pinned to the wall of C3 Old Court, Clare College for some time - I may
still have it.