[r-t] Spliced Treble Bob Minor Data Tables

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sun Oct 3 23:04:21 UTC 2004

Michael Foulds wrote:

> Just caught up with reading this - I hope I never said or implied that I'd
> worked them out in my head!

I'd guessed that! ;-)

> With regard to splices omitted from the book, no 2-lead splices were
> knowingly omitted, so if someone knows of some more, that's a cock up by me.

One example is Woodbine Delight and St Matthias Delight
(6-lead cluster 2515 in Table 10).  These are actually a
two-lead splice, but they do not appear to be listed in
Table 11.

My preliminary search suggests that, after lead splices have
been removed, there are 183 different 2-lead splices between
the 1627 methods listed in Table 2.

When you describe 2-lead splices in book 3, you say,

  This rather esoteric splice is a special case of the
  6-lead splice which requires one of the methods to have
  the 3-4 section { X 56 X }, and the other the more
  conventional { X 12 X } and to be otherwise identical.

Woodbine and St Matthias do not have this property.

> With regard to five lead splices, I was running out of space and energy,
> don't really have enough grasp of the subject, and conscious that the reader
> probably wouldn't be that interested  either.

Fair enough.  It wasn't intended as criticism -- I think
your books are far and away the best on the subject.

>  The hard bit is joining them together
> into an extent.  I didn't want to include anything in the tables that
> couldn't be arranged into an extent. Having mucked about for several hours
> and got 9 examples, I got brassed off and called it a day.

I've only ever used 5-lead splices once or twice, and always
in fairly complicated one-part multi-extent compositions, so
I can see your point.

Richard