[r-t] Extensions

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Tue Oct 26 19:48:26 UTC 2004

Andrew Craddock <andrew at towerbase.net> wrote at 10:58:26 on Tue, 26 Oct
2004
>Assuming that Richard is reasonably confident about his program (and I
>guess he must be if he is prepared to put the source into the public
>domain) then perhaps the MC's time might be productively spent in
>preparing a suite of test cases which could validate Richard's (or
>anyone elses) software.

We did discuss this, but came to the conclusion that it would be
difficult for the MC to endorse a program as giving a definitive answer
to any extension-related query. We can of course give answer any queries
as to whether any particular generated extension is in fact valid.

>Does anyone understand what this statement means and its intended implications?

The terms of reference of the committee are:

"To consider and advise on all questions arising from the interpretation
of the Council's Decisions relating to methods, calls, and peal
ringing."

It would seem that methods-related programs must involve interpretation
of the Decisions. That is not to say that publication of such would not
involve other committees - in particular the Publications Committee
might have something to say!

--
Regards
Philip