[r-t] Extents of Stedman Cinques

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Fri Sep 17 09:31:23 UTC 2004

>Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote at 21:21:30 on Thu, 16 Sep
>2004
>>It's not inconceivable that a 7920-part extent of bobs-only Stedman
>>Cinques exists on this plan.  But I guess a 39,916,800 is probably
>>longer even than the Cambridge handbell bell are willing to ring!
>
>I'm not sure about bobs-only, but it does seem the best candidate for an
>equivalent to the 60-course peals of Triples, and a way to get an extent
>with conventional calls.
>--
>Regards
>Philip
For a bobs-only peal we want there to be an odd number of blocks to result
from the search so either the order (size) of a group must be odd, or the
parts must link so that an odd number of blocks results.  In mathematical
terms the group must have a in-course cyclic subgroup with an odd
number of cosets, or equivalently the 2-Sylow subgroup must be cyclic
and in-course.

Andrew Johnson