[r-t] What's the meaning of a method havingaparticularfalsecoursehead

Ben Willetts ben at benjw.org.uk
Thu Apr 28 09:08:58 UTC 2005

Peter King wrote:
> If I am looking at a table of methods I would like to see
> some indication of whether or not the method is false in
> the plain course or not.

That's fair enough, but why are you looking for a single letter in the list
of falseness groups to tell you?  What about the simple word "FALSE" -- will
that do for telling you it's false in the plain course?

It seems to me that the falseness groups are only useful for composers --
they tell you what courses to put in or not to put in your compositions.
Methods which are false in the plain course are a different thing entirely,
though -- you can't even have a full course anywhere in a true composition,
which is not the case for any of the other falseness groups.  So it's really
a different concept we're talking about, and shouldn't be expected to fit
into the lettering system.

I can't really see the point in A falseness either, but am happy to ignore
it and leave it for the mathematicians.

Ben