[r-t] Composing spliced treble-dodging major

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Fri Aug 5 21:31:05 UTC 2005

JEC writes,

> Some people have an intuitive understanding of these
> things and others don't. It doesn't mean that they can't learn.

I'm sure anyone can indeed learn, but surely the thing about composing, as
similar fields, is that it's all about problem solving; and the best way to
learn how to be a problem solver is to be told, when you have a problem to
solve, "bugger off and work it out for yourself". Is it not?

If you can't or aren't interested in solving composing problems, you're not
going to be a composer, are you?

Graham mentioned Elf. Ironically for me, I've just recollected that this
program pretty much uses the "William Dawson" method of composing, i.e. come
up with a touch then prove it. For the very short (but dense) search spaces
Elf is optimised for, this actually turns out to be the quickest way. But
only for a computer.