[r-t] Composing spliced treble-dodging major

Michael Schulte michaelfschulte at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 17:42:56 UTC 2005

In answer to William Dawson, who wrote:
> I think my problem is internal falseness? Is there a way of
> knowing when two lead ends will contain the same row.

I would suggest the following exercise:

Write out a lead of Cambridge Surprise Major (or any other treble-dodging major method with which
you are more comfortable).

Mark each row of the lead with a '+' if the row is of even parity or a '-' if the row is of odd
parity. (Parity is quite simply determined by calculating how many transpositions - or called
changes if you prefer, so long as each call swaps only one pair of adjacent bells - it would take
to get from rounds to the row at which you are looking. If it takes an odd number of calls, then
the parity is odd. If an even number of calls, the parity is even.)

Ask yourself the following question:
- If I have an even-parity row at some point in the lead, is there anywhere else in a lead that
this row could possibly occur? (For example, the 9th row of the first lead of Cambridge S Major is
'62471835' and it is an odd-parity row. Where else in a lead might this row occur?)

That should get you started. Feel free to inquire, either on or off list, if you have further
questions...

Hope that is helpful!

====
Mike Schulte