[r-t] Doubles overworks

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Aug 30 15:38:01 UTC 2005

Leigh Simpson wrote:

> Please could someone send details of the 24 standard
> over/underworks for Doubles. I'm told there's a
> standard classification system already in existence.

Aficionados of doubles variations have given all the
overworks single-letter abbreviations for use as calls.
This includes the ones with eight blows at the back (as they
are legal as calls, but not as plain leads).

The place notations below are for overworks given between
the treble in thirds on the way down to lead and thirds on
the way up.

 a = 1.345.145.345.1
 b = 1.5.145.5.1
 c = 1.3.123.3.1
 d = 1.5.123.5.1
 e = 1.3.125.3.1
 f = 1.345.123.345.1
 g = 145.3.123.3.145
 h = 145.345.123.345.145
 j = 1.5.125.5.1
 k = 1.345.125.345.1
 m = 145.3.123.3.145
 n = 145.5.123.5.145
 o = 145.5.145.5.145
 p = 145.5.125.5.145
 q = 145.345.125.345.145
 r = 1.3.145.3.1
 s = 145.3.145.3.145
 t = 145.345.145.345.145
 u = 1.3.1.3.1
 v = 1.5.1.5.1
 w = 1.345.1.345.1
 x = 145.3.1.3.145
 y = 145.345.1.345.145
 z = 145.5.1.5.145

So for example, Plain Bob is j over v, and St Remigius is k
over x.

RAS