[SPAM] [r-t] RE: Method Review

Fielding Ian I.Fielding at rbh.nthames.nhs.uk
Fri Feb 18 10:16:04 UTC 2005

Nothing wrong with 45's - I would agree that 54's are pretty naff. 35's are also very good. I would go as far as to suggest that good ringing is always musical no matter what rows are being rung. Philip suggested that London and Glasgow are not great methods - thats true if you subjectively look for rows that conform to a narrow specification, but as people have said flow is important too, and you can't beat London for that (especially No. 3 Royal). Why look for runs of 4 bells in the plain course of a method - surely the point of a composition is to generate musical rows - Cassiobury might not be a great plain course, but look what you can get out of it with the right comp.

Anyway, to answer Sams question, in true "Sound of music" style, these are a few of my favourite rows on 8 bells apart from the obvious "roll up" ones.

24613578
12463578
21463578
64213578
61243578

61234578  )              These are even better on 12 bells with 7890et rolling up and the reverses of the front
16234578  )

35724618
46135728

rows with adjacent pairs coming together are good especially on handbells eg 78125634 12785634 78125634 etc.

Glint

ps. thought you might like this letter received by B&Q the other week.

A letter received by the B&Q customer services department