[r-t] Phobos music - new surprise royal and max methods

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri Feb 25 21:36:45 UTC 2005

The talk of Phobos-esque treble-dodging major methods made me think of using
the same concept on 10 bells. I think there's bags of potential with the
overwork.  The only drawback is its inherent BD falseness, though I don't
feel this is critical.

Anyway, there have only been six treble-dodging royal methods rung with the
Phobos overwork:

Southampton University -3-4-2.5.6-2.7.8-6-7.6.78-9, 2 (a)
End of Exams           -3-4-2.5.6-34-5-6-67-6-7 (f)
Harrison               -3-4-2.5.6-34-5-6-7.6-56.7 (f)
Lochdubh               -3-4-2.5.6-34.7.58.6-6.7-6-1 (mx)
Tanglefoot             -3-4-2.5.36.4-47.58.6-6.3.6-2.7 (h)
Ujay                   -3-4-2.5.36-4-3.6-6.7.6-6.7,0 (l)

Tanglefoot is the earliest, dating from 1995.  Though not a bad method, the
work below the treble is pretty uninspiring, with the messy notation around
the half-lead making you avoid regular halflead-ends/heads. It weighs in
with a meagre 82 4-runs. Harrison (112 4-runs) is considerably better, if a
bit more static on the front, but suffers from the same problem when the
treble is in 9-0.

End of Exams (like Harrison, it also has 112 4-runs and was conducted by Tom
Hinton - what has become of him?) was rung a couple of months later in 1997,
and is an improvement. It uses a very simple right-place underwork, based
around plain hunt on the front six, giving a coursing six off the front when
the treble dodges in 7-8, and the coursing six reversed at the half-lead
(hence 567890.... and 765432....). I like it a lot.

Ujay also uses plain hunting on the front six with a coursing six, but this
time employs wrong hunting.  It is a fairly logical contraction of Phobos
maximus, and a decent method from the Rob Lee stable.  It was first rung at
the end of last year, and has 104 4-runs in its plain course. The 10ths
place leadend change works well with this overwork to spread the music
around the course a bit too.

Southampton University has a very impressive 128 4-runs. Indeed, it is a
pretty decent all-round method.  The only drawback is the 78-9 notation
around the half-lead, which is a bit sledgehammer-like.  By changing the
half-lead and leadend changes to 10, you get a more fluid and better method.
It's damn good, and unrung as well. Southampton University was first
conducted to a peal in 2002 by Tim Collins.  Who actually came up with the
method, then?

And finally, we come on Lochdubh Surprise Royal. We are now in the realm of
seriously good shit. Amazingly, this 124 4-run gem has only previously been
rung in spliced. Whose method is it? You've got almost Bristol Royal beneath
the treble, and the method uses this to devastatingly good effect, elegantly
pouring in the music with fully regular half-leads. The only slight drawback
is the mx group has a slow progression of music from big bells to little
bells, but this is a very minor quibble.  The only further comment I would
add is that the method can actually be tweaked to improve the music, by
changing the -34.7 section to 34-7, thereby getting the bells into the right
order a row earlier and giving two extra rollups in the course.

This modified new method (&-3-4-2.5.6.34-7.58.6-6.7-6-1, mx, 124 4-runs) is
the dog's. Ring it, people.  I may even go so far to say that it should be
one of the four 'standard' treble-dodging royal methods, along with Bristol,
Triton and something else to be decided.  Yorkshire if you want to be
boring, MBD's Rabbit to be exotic. Is anyone up to producing a decent
spliced composition? For comparison, Bristol has 112 4-runs in the plain
course, Triton has 98 whilst Cambridge has 66.

Clearly, this new royal method can be simply extended to a new surprise
maximus method with the Phobos overwork
(-3-4-2.5.6.34-7.58.6-9.70.8-8.9-8-T, g, 232 4-runs). Again, good shit.