[r-t] Phobos music - new surprise royal and max methods

James Hustler james.hustler2 at 1stquote.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 18:05:21 UTC 2005

Philip Earis wrote:

> Southampton University -3-4-2.5.6-2.7.8-6-7.6.78-9, 2 (a)
> End of Exams           -3-4-2.5.6-34-5-6-67-6-7 (f)
> Harrison               -3-4-2.5.6-34-5-6-7.6-56.7 (f)
> Lochdubh               -3-4-2.5.6-34.7.58.6-6.7-6-1 (mx)
> Tanglefoot             -3-4-2.5.36.4-47.58.6-6.3.6-2.7 (h)
> Ujay                   -3-4-2.5.36-4-3.6-6.7.6-6.7,0 (l)

> Southampton University has a very impressive 128 4-runs. Indeed, it is a
> pretty decent all-round method.  The only drawback is the 78-9 notation
> around the half-lead, which is a bit sledgehammer-like.  By changing the
> half-lead and leadend changes to 10, you get a more fluid and better
> method. It's damn good, and unrung as well. Southampton University was
> first conducted to a peal in 2002 by Tim Collins.  Who actually came up
> with the method, then?

The 78-9 about the half lead was a deliberate attempt to provide a
stable feature for a band which was not used to ringing together. The
peal was rung by SUGCR for the 50th anniversary of the university
receiving its charter.

I'm not sure I can claim too much credit for method construction since
it was very much a homage to the End of Exams & Harrison peals I'd rung
in 1997 both conducted by Tom Hinton. I think the former was perhaps a
MBD construction and the latter a collaboration of TEH & MBD.
I can't remember now much about how the method developed but I notice
that replacing the half lead with 10 gives the ill fated "Dungeoness"
Surprise Royal (TEH/MBD???) which we lost in late 1997 at Tewkesbury and
never re-attempted. This suggests I probably went full circle round the
houses somewhat since there's a whole host of similar methods sitting on
the PC going mouldy in various stages of development!