[r-t] Re: Exercise Mathods

Ben Willetts ben at benjw.org.uk
Tue Feb 1 10:34:25 UTC 2005

Peter King:
> they should be called bob methods under the old scheme of things

Yes, they would have been called Xxxxxx Place Bob.  There are plenty of
these in the CC Doubles collection from 1980 or thereabouts (I've lost it
and can't remember the date!)

Talking of that Doubles collection, anyone know why the CC decided to use
that rather bizarre place notation?  (x = everybody make a place except the
person who crosses with the treble, IIRC.)

> by the way where did "pleasure" come from

Methods that people enjoyed ringing?  :-)

> why not just call all plain methods "bob" if
> you are going to get rid of the other distinctions?

Well, it's nice to have something to distinguish them from variations (and
principles, I suppose, although these aren't themselves distinguished from
variations by name).  "Bob" is fairly standard but that describes, and is
the old name for, a dodge.  There aren't any in Place methods so it would be
a bit silly.

Ben